Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Que Sera Sera...


I love the fact that my children are still fearless (unlike their mother). Last weekend we went to visit my sister and her family. While we were there we went down to the beach (tidal river to be exact) where my brother-in-law and his friend had a surf ski. Both kids jumped at the chance to climb aboard especially Bella. Honestly, I have never seen anyone pick up a skill so quickly and there was much talk about how much Bella would enjoy Nippers.

Now we live closer to the mountains than the sea so regular attendance at junior surf-lifesaving school is unlikely but it did lead me to wonder, how much influence does where we grow up have on what we are exposed to and grow to love? If I had not grown up in the country would I have had my own horse and spent many happy hours at pony club and gymkhanas? Probably not. If I had grown up in the city would I have started dancing earlier and kept going longer? Maybe. How do I know that I'm not a fantastic skier if I've never been to the snow?

Perhaps that's the point. If I really wanted to do something chances are I would have done it by now. The story of so many successful individuals is framed by their perserverence in the face of geographical, financial and peer pressures in pursuing their dreams. Sons of doctors who become artists, daughters of mechanics who become lawyers so if Bella is destined to be Australia's next IronWoman I'm sure she'll find a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment