Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Security + blanket


I'm knitting Henry a new blanket in his favourite colour - orange. I tried to talk him around to various other colour schemes and patterns but he insisted it all be orange. I did manage to convince him of the need for a contrasting edge so he chose lime green!

I find knitting blankets for little people very satisfying. It takes time so the kids learn that handmade things are not always whipped up in an afternoon. They see the time and effort you put into it and eagerly await its completion. I love the thought that what you are making for them will keep them warm and help them to feel secure. I would be lying if I didn't admit that as babies both my children were very attached to their store-bought microfibre blankies but now that they are getting a bit older it is the handmade blankets and quilts they are reaching for when they feel tired, sick or when they need to feel a bit special and that makes me very happy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment