Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Five Faves - 40s Musicals


I'm playing along with Meet Me At Mikes again this week. Although it pains me to play favourites (it nearly killed me editing my profile) here are five of my favourite movie musicals (but by no means all of them!).

On The Town (1949) Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra dance their way around New York while on shore leave.

An American In Paris (1951) My absolute favourite Gene Kelly movie. I especially love the 'ballet' with Leslie Caron. Oscar Levant is a hoot too.

Band Wagon (1953) Broadway meets ballet meets classical theatre! Fred Astaire is fabulous, Cyd Charisse is beautiful and Jack Buchanan is very funny as the producer.

High Society (1956) Although I really love the original 'Philadelphia Story' starring Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant and James Stewart, I also have a soft spot for this version starring Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly.

West Side Story (1961) With a wonderful score by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and choreography by Jerome Robbins this modern Romeo and Juliet always leaves me breathless.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to say that West Side Story is one of my favourites. Second would also be American in Paris. I haven't watched an old movie in ages. I think I may have to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you agree but I left out lots of good ones like Singing In The Rain, Meet Me In St Louis, The Wizard of Oz and Follow the Fleet. You should definately get back into the oldies, they're not called oldies but goodies for no reason!

    ReplyDelete