Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Melbourne Reef

Image via Style Wilderness

Have you seen this amazing feat of crochet? It's called the Melbourne Reef and it's been created using a thing called hyperbolic crochet (very mathmatical). I noticed that kootoyoo has been at it too. It's hard to believe that this thing of beauty and diversity is made from scraps of wool, recycled plastic bags and old video and audio cassettes isn't it? If it's captured your imagination like it has mine I suggest you pop over to Style Wilderness to see more amazing photographs and find out more about this mind-bending blend of maths and handicraft.

3 comments:

  1. Wow this is really clever......not exactly my cup of tea but it obviously takes a lot of skill

    I've at last bought a crochet hook so I'm going to watch a tutorial and have a go.....nothing as complex as this though....maybe just a granny square to start......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is astonishing! I agree with Debby, it's not the sort of thing I'd choose to have in my house, but you have to admire the concept (and the effort involved!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's actually a fairly large gallery installation that's been made as part of an international project to raise awareness of the effect that global warming and plastics pollution are having on coral reefs - definately not the sort of thing you'd find in someone's bathroom!

    ReplyDelete