I've been tagged by Fourth Daughter over at Style Wilderness! This is my first tagging so I'm quite chuffed. Fourth Daughter is going on a literary speed date soon and needs some advice so some of the questions are related to that dilemma while others are from previous taggings so here goes:
1. If you had to spend 3 consecutive days on the same train who would you want with you and why?
I'd have to say someone very patient! I'm not very good at enclosed spaces (more on that later) but someone with a great life story and sense enough to know when I need to retreat to my book would be a good bet.
2. Have you ever had a sewing-related injury? Give gory details! If not any irrational fears?
Luckily I haven't had any sewing accidents I'd describe as gory but I do have an overriding irrational fear - claustrophobia. It's a real downer let me tell you. I haven't been in plane for over 7 years and at one stage I even found going to the cinema a challenge. I avoid crowded public transport and always have one eye on the exit wherever I go. For the most part I think I hide it pretty well but it can be very exhausting!
3. What wouldn't you be caught dead in?
Shorts, bikinis, midriff tops, mini-skirts, pastels, tracksuits...
4. What garment/ accessory do you wear the most?
At the moment I'm living in my long black boots - it's very cold here. I've also recently acquired a cute little mother-of-pearl flower brooch which seems to be following me from outfit to outfit.
5. Which pattern/ vintage style have you been thinking about recently?Before I had children I used to wear a lot of dresses now I never wear them. I think that's a shame so I'm scouting around for new shapes. I've always loved 1940s fashion so something like the dress pictured above might fit the bill.
6. What is one place you really want to visit that you haven't been to before?
San Francisco! My sister and her young family live there and I feel terrible that I have never visited them (see irrational fears).
7. What do you wear when you want to impress?
I'm going to give an earnest answer here. If I'm going on a date (it's been a long time!) I want my date to be impressed by me not my clothes. I also don't want the distraction of worrying about my choices/ being uncomfortable etc that come with impulse bought new outfits. My advice is to wear something you love, is typical of your style and in which you know you look fabulous.
8. Who is your favourite literary character and why? At the moment I would have to say Inspector Montalbano. The Inspector and I have spent a lot of time together this year (10 novels) and I have come to love this grumpy old so-and-so. I love his enthusiasm for Sicilian cuisine, his eccentric ways of piecing information together and his constant confusion about women.9. Which handmade project are you most proud of?
My first really big knitting project was a black ribbed, roll neck jumper in 4 ply wool (for non-knitters that's baby wool!) for Tom. It took me forever but it's such a classic pattern I just love it.
10. What was the best date you've ever been on?
I've never actually been on a really formal date but my second or so date with Tom was quite memorable. We went to a bar for a drink and I was so nervous, and gesticulating so wildly, that I somehow managed to karate-chop the top off my glass without spilling a drop of my drink - very impressive!
So there you have it. Good luck with the literary speed-dating Fourth Daughter!