Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

Originally uploaded to Flickr Commons on June 2, 2009by National Media Museum

This is only my second Mother's Day since we lost Mum and to be honest I find the build up to the day quite difficult. Unfortunately the focus on breast cancer awareness which swirls around Mother's Day means that I am often caught off guard by those little cut-out pink ladies who remind me of all the wonderful women whose light was dimmed too soon.

Tom and the kids know how emotional I can be around special holidays so they went out of their way to make the day special for me. There was no chance of breakfast in bed as the kids were far too excited but we had a lovely breakfast around the kitchen table of croissants, danishes and jasmine tea.

As for presents I was extremely spoilt. The day started with lots of presents including a tasting box of 12 teas from T2 and a beautiful red tea canister. Next came Season 1 of 'Glee', 'Easter Parade' and 'On The Town' on DVD. Isabella also gave me two lovely handmade cards and a pair of black Ray-Ban Wayfarers knock-offs the likes of which I haven't worn since the 80s! She knew that I had just broken my sunglasses and when she saw them at the Mother's Day stall at school she was sure she had found the perfect gift, bless her cotton socks.

Hope you and your family had a great day too.

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel Caz...but it sounds like you a have a sweet family and a lovely day together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caz, it was my third without mum, so I hid inside for the day (thank heavens for Dr Who and Foyle's War!) I'm glad you had a day of treats with your family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Mum's are so important aren't they and they leave a big gap when they are not there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caz,

    Sounds like you had a nice day, despite sadly being without your mum. I had mine over for a morning tea, and we used my Oma's crockery set so there was a nod to my dad's mum too. :-)
    Oh, the sunnies- that's so sweet. I hope you wear them proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caz
    17 years without my mum. Very sad to think. Always try to enjoy my family on the day and go for a drive to the Dandenongs or near the sea. Fresh air really helps to lift my spirits.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete