Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Elegant cowls...

Image via Loops Yarn


Image via katy elliott

Image via Nothing Elegant



Image via Whip Up

I realise that it is absolutely not the right time of year to be lusting after winter woollies (well not here in the Southern Hemisphere anyaway) but I keep running into these amazing cowls. To be honest I'd never even heard of cowls until recently but now I can't seem to get away from them! One of the things I really like about cowls is the way they use interesting buttons, corsages and decorative pins to keep them closed - very swish. I don't recall seeing people wearing cowls around the city this winter but perhaps I just didn't notice. We Melbournians do love our scarves but we seem to prefer long and loopy over short and neck-hugging.

If you're somewhere wintry now and would like to knit one there are hundreds of free patterns online but if re-purposing is more your thing you could try the clever 'Upcycled Scarflette' pictured above which is made from a re-fashioned cable knit jumper.

6 comments:

  1. I went into my local wool shop recently and apparently everyone is asking for cowl patterns at the moment and they didn't have any....so this is great.....thanks for sharing Caz........

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it's not just me! Glad I could be of service;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I love the first one. I just started knitting my first ever scarf and I'm already completely addicted. A cowl may be next! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fabulous Francesca. I'm so glad you're knitting! I remember when I first found your blog I read an old entry about knitted mug warmers/ coasters or some such thing and you said something along the lines of them being almost nice enough to make you want to take up knitting. Now you've started you'll never want to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love a nice cowl ... it's true that I haven't seen many of them around - perhaps we'll catch on in Australia next winter? I love the idea of decorating one with favourite brooches ... lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. tho i don't know how to knit i've been thinking of making one of these from felted sweaters for over a year! i really need to scratch this off of my to do list this winter :)

    ReplyDelete