Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Seasonal Adjustment...




"Street blogging may be considered to be a modern phenomenon, but a series of images unearthed by Kensington and Chelsea Libraries prove that the practice may date as far back as the early 1900’s." Mail Online

Aren't these images wonderful? When I saw them yesterday I was immediately struck by the way the women look so purposeful. The first one seems to me the epitome of the 'New Woman' - no frills, no fuss, shorter skirt and a fob watch that suggests she has no time to waste. Then we have the two women, possibly students, caught in conversation (possibly about those very books) and a woman described as a 'Shopgirl' trying to fit a little reading into her day.

Perhaps it was ever thus; women bustling along trying to fit everything into their busy day. Of course, that's just my interpretation from where I sit in my increasingly hectic life. This year wasn't meant to pan out this way. Both kids at school, only working part-time, this year was going to be a blast - reading, cooking, blogging , movies, finally learning to meditate - so why are so many of those things still on the 'to do' list? Two reasons really. The first is that I wildly under-estimated just how much I was doing when I was 'just minding children'. Turns out they were really just keeping me company as I cooked, cleaned, and ran countless errands which unfortunately still have to be done now that they are at school. I also underestimated how much time would be taken up in supporting children while they are at school - teaching children to read, to dress themselves, helping out in the classroom, introducing them to the joys of music, dance, competitive aerobics (I know, who knew?).

Then there's this damn fool idea I got into my head that now I had some 'free time' I could finally get around to doing some 'real' writing. You know how they say everyone has at least one book in them? Well, I'm one of those poor tormented souls that really believes the fairytale. So I've put all those other lovely things on my list to one side to give myself the time and space to flex my writing muscles and see whether or not I have the talent, and more importantly the stamina, to write something longer than a blog post. But time is a slippery devil. Every week as I try and carve out a time to sit down and write, something else comes crowding in (I have a sick child at home today, I've been working days I usually have off, there's been doctors and dentist appointments, school holidays...). So here I sit more than halfway through the year and what do I have to show for it? Well, I have children that are well on the whole (with nice teeth), an interesting job, very few blog posts, a growing pile of unread books and pages and pages of noted for a novel that's struggling to find it's way. Perhaps six months is not such a long time to find your feet when you are entering a new phase of your life? I'm not sure but I do know that I'm not going to give up now. I'm going to keep walking and reading at the same time just like 'Shopgirl' and hope and pray that I don't fall down a big hole.

How about you? Are you where you thought you'd be at this time of year? Have you revised your plans? Perhaps you don't do 'plans'?

PS: If you enjoyed the photos at the top of this post you can see more of them by photographer Edward Linley Sambourne here.

8 comments:

  1. No where near. My plans for the year got swept down the Murrumbidgee. Super frustrating. I love these pictures. Keep on plugging away and when eventually it comes time to reflect you may be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie. I've been such a terrible lurker this year but I have been following your progress post-flood and must say that life on the land certainly seems to be agreeing with you! Your new template looks great. It really shows off your wonderful photos to great advantage.

      Delete
  2. Hi there. I've really missed you and been going to email so many times to ask how everyone is. But didn't want to intrude. Sorry I haven't got a hang on the twitter thing! I must spend some time working out how to follow etc.. I tried but somehow it didn't work.At the moment I just click on an icon when my blog is in a certain style and it tweets my post... I know I'm embarrasing...but also a little scared of getting obsessed and losing even more time.

    I hope that your writing works out. The writers that succeed seem to be those who just tenaciously keep at it...usually men because they have women to run around doing all the other things for them!

    I took a year off creative work and it was difficult at first I was frustrated but now I'm in a really good space in my head and have lots of plans for the next six months...I think I've worked out what I 'want' to do and not what I 'think" I should be doing. It's a much calmer place to be...for now any way.

    Enjoy your little people's company...
    Deb

    Ps The Russian Black tomato plant is blooming. (That sounds like something a spy would say in a 1940's novel, doesn't it? )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I've been out of touch for so long too. I've really missed you although I never miss a post on your amazing blog! Will email soon.

      Funny you should mention the tomato in a 1940s spy context as that's what I've been researching;)

      Delete
    2. I'm back...been away...thanks for your email it was so good to hear from you.

      Tomatoes and spies...ooh how intriguing.
      Deb

      Delete
  3. with all the talk of people texting and walking into lampposts, i just love that one of the woman walking and reading!

    i don't really do 'plans' as such, but do have it in my mind where i'll like to be headed. my idea for the past few years has been simplicity, cutting back on over-doing. this year is note making for my non-fiction book. next year when my girl goes to school is the writing of it. and i'm determined that she won't do more than one extra-curricular activity. and any she does has to be with dad.

    we have to be ruthless with our energies and where we put them. i think the way we designed society is too easy to get caught in a hectic lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're absolutely right about having to be 'ruthless with our energies and where we put them' and I think I'm getting better at that slowly but surely. I think the way you are thinking years ahead rather than days is so eminently sensible and results in a lot less pressure all round.

      PS: Thanks for the Busy Trap link too.

      Delete
  4. just found this! lol
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/

    ReplyDelete